Take the quiz.
In the U.S., there is one major holiday in July: Independence Day. See how much you know about the traditions surrounding this holiday. (Answers are below.)
1. U.S. Independence Day takes place on the ____ of July.
a. first Monday
2. The first weekend in July is celebrated with fireworks in both Detroit, MI and Windsor, ONT because _____.
a. the two cities are separated by only a river
b. Canada celebrates its independence from Britain on July 1
c. England sends a government representative there for the weekend
d. Canada is seen as a 51st state and is invited to join in the celebration
3. Independence from Britain was first ____ in 1776.
a. celebrated in Boston
b. planned in New York
d. granted by Britain
4. It wasn’t until ____, that the Star-Spangled Banner became recognized as the national anthem of the U.S. by the national Congress.
5. A common Independence Day gift is _____.
a. cards with pictures of George Washington
b. fried chicken
c. any article of clothing with red, white, and blue
6. Independence Day is celebrated by _____.
b. watching parades and flying the flag
c. having a barbeque or picnic
d. any of the above
1. d. fourth
2. b. Canada celebrates independence from Britain on July 1
3. c. declared
4. d. 1931
5. d. nothing
6. d. any of the above